Can I sue my trade school ATI College of Health Miami Gardens, FL

Asked over 1 year ago - Boca Raton, FL

I attended ATI college of health in Miami gardens, FL for 2 yrs for ultrasound. during the end of the program we had to attend a financial aid mandatory meeting. From my knowledge, they gave me documents stating what I would owe once I finished. During the end of the last semester, rumors which became facts surface the campus that the school wasn't accredited which they told us it was during orientation. As of end of 2012, the school has closed without any notice. Most of students are without careers, no transcripts as proof of completion and a diploma that's worth nothing. Endless calls and messages to the dept of education and number on school website are unanswered. I couldnt graduated until all documents and debts were complete. the school sold their debts to Omega that say I ow $6000

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Carol Anne Johnson

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . In answer to your question - "yes" you can sue almost anyone for anything. Is it going to get you your money back? Probably not. My guess, without knowing anything more than you have stated, is that they have gone through bankruptcy and the sale of their receivables was done on trustee's orders to pay off creditors. So, even if you can find anyone to sue, and even if you end up with a judgment against them, you may have a hard time collecting on the judgment. In the future, when a school representative tells you they are "accredited" find out which accrediting agency and then go on the agency's website to find out if that is true. Do your homework on ANY school that you choose to attend.

    Carol Johnson Law Firm, P.A. : (727) 647-6645 : : Wills, Trusts, Real Property, Probate,... more
  2. Steve Rossi


    Contributor Level 5

    Answered . I agree with Ms Johnson and would also note that there could be a criminal offense here for grand theft or possibly worse depending on all the facts. Many times people consider civil lawsuits where there could also be a crime. If there is a crime the police may investigate it, the state attorney's office may prosecute it. And that costs you nothing.

    Every case is different do not rely upon this information until you have actually spoken to an attorney of your... more
  3. Christine C McCall


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . 34 CFR Section 682.402(d) of the Federal Family Education Loan Program provides some relief to students who are indebted where the school has closed. The qualifications for this relief are narrow and specific, but you should make an inquiry to see if your circumstances are within the boundaries:

    No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,145 answers this week

3,056 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,145 answers this week

3,056 attorneys answering