Can i sue my surgeon for leaving my tongue numb after wisdom teeth removal

Fayetteville, NC |

i got 4 wisdom teeth removed and during the operation i woke up and he said to relax while i was feeling the pain and when he was pulling things out of my mouth and i was trying to tell him that it hurt but he just said to relax, then a few days after my tongue was still numb and i could barely open my mouth, its been a month now and i have gone to seen him and explain the situation and all he did was refer me to the army medical center, my left side of my mouth is numb and i keep feeling sharp pain where the tooth was extracted and it goes up to my ear, to eat i have to cut my meals into small peaces and sometimes i have to try to get them in my mouth side ways because i cant really open it, when i yawn it really hurts that i have to put my hand to stop my mouth from opening.

1. What you have is called a lingual nerve paralysis and it happens sometimes after wisdom teeth are extracted. Sometimes it gets better, but you can't count on that. Lawyers who handle dental malpractice cases are familiar with this problem. There have been many lawsuits following such injuries, so it would certainly be worth your while to consult with an attorney who has expertise in dental malpractice cases. Make sure that any lawyer you decide to hire has experience in dental malpractice cases and with cases such as yours in particular. These are tough cases and your local lawyer who handles everything probably won't be up to it.

Any opinions stated in response to Avvo questions are based upon the facts stated in the question. Responses to Avvo questions are for general information purposes only, and should not be construed or relied upon as legal advice.

2. I agree with Mr. Brophy. Our office does handle dental malpractice claims, and we are located in Raleigh. I would be happy to discuss your claim with you if you would like. Feel free to reach me at my direct dial number, which is 919.235.3824. Otherwise, I think the advice provided by Mr. Brophy is very much on point. I am very sorry to hear about your ordeal, and wish you the best of luck going forward. -Jay Mills

3. You are asking about a dental malpractice case, and the above lawyer has agreed to discuss it in depth with you. Good luck.

Lassen Law Firm Personal Injury Lawyers Philadelphia. www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com Phone 215-510-6755.

4. I suggest that you see a maxillofacial surgeon or a highly qualified dentist to determine exactly what has happened to you. You may well be in need of additional treatment. If during the course of the 2nd opinion it develops that there may have been some malpractice here, I suggest you contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.