Can I sue my stepmom for physically, mentally and psychologically abusing me when I was 12 to 14 years old? I am now 26.

Asked over 1 year ago - San Francisco, CA

It happened in Massachusetts. I am now in California. Is my statue of limitation over?

If now, how long do I have until it is?

Also, there is already records of her abusing me but she never got convicted because I was too afraid to accuse her at the time I was abused.

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

1

Answered . In California it would be the case that, unless the abuse included acts of specific sexual conduct, any rights that you may have had to file a suit on these facts lapsed in the 8 years since you attained majority. But since this conduct occurred in Massachusetts, you will need advice from a Mass attorney on the issue of that state's statutory time limits. You will want to re-post your inquiry under the Mass section of Avvo.