Can I sue my step grandmother's estate for the remainder of the proceedings received from the sale of my biol grandparents home?

Rockville, MD |

My biological grandmother built a home for her family back in 1948. She passed away in 1959 leaving the home to my grandfather. My grandfather remarried in 1961 and passed away in 1991 stipulating in his will that the home was to be passed down to his 2 older grandchildren after the death of his second wife. His 2nd wife amended her will in 2000 stipulating that the home was to be given to my father & uncle (both deceased) upon her passing. A self appointed legal guardian & family member sold the home placing the proceeds in an account in my step grandmother's name and place her in a assisted living facility after she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's knowing the home was not to be sold for any reason. She recently passed away with the monetary holdings going to her family members

1. It sure sounds like you've missed the statute of limitations on filing anything, but the best bet is to review the facts, the titles, and the wills with a competent lawyer. A thousand bucks on an investigation might be very well-spent money with property prices in and around Rockville.

Reading an answer on the Internet does not create an attorney-client relationship. You are represented by me when we have both signed a retainer agreement (on paper or electronically) and some money has changed hands. Usually, you will have been asked specific questions about your situation and all potential conflicts of interest will have been resolved. Until then, you have no more right to rely on this answer than if you read it in a novel.

2. Consult an estate/probate litigation attorney.

DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.

3. Doesn't sound good on the surface but consult an estate attorney. It would worth it to find out.

Wills and estates topics