Can I sue my step grandmother's estate for the remainder of the proceedings received from the sale of my biol grandparents home?

Asked 12 months ago - Rockville, MD

My biological grandmother built a home for her family back in 1948. She passed away in 1959 leaving the home to my grandfather. My grandfather remarried in 1961 and passed away in 1991 stipulating in his will that the home was to be passed down to his 2 older grandchildren after the death of his second wife. His 2nd wife amended her will in 2000 stipulating that the home was to be given to my father & uncle (both deceased) upon her passing. A self appointed legal guardian & family member sold the home placing the proceeds in an account in my step grandmother's name and place her in a assisted living facility after she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's knowing the home was not to be sold for any reason. She recently passed away with the monetary holdings going to her family members

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Richard S Sternberg


    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It sure sounds like you've missed the statute of limitations on filing anything, but the best bet is to review the facts, the titles, and the wills with a competent lawyer. A thousand bucks on an investigation might be very well-spent money with property prices in and around Rockville.

    Reading an answer on the Internet does not create an attorney-client relationship. You are represented by me when... more
  2. Brandy Ann Peeples


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Consult an estate/probate litigation attorney.

    DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided... more
  3. Lee Alan Thompson

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Doesn't sound good on the surface but consult an estate attorney. It would worth it to find out.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now