Can I sue my spouse for unpaid wages if on paper I was an employee and worked but never got paid (he owns the company)

Asked about 2 years ago - Bend, OR

In divorce proceedings, he claims I have no rights to the business, as he owned it prior to marriage. I was supposed to be paid, but he refused my salary after we got married. i was naive and accepted his quarterly salary payment option he suggested in the beginning. i worked one quarter and got married just before pay date, then pay didn't come. some story company was short, so wait till next month. next month never happened. since then I have worked as endentured servant, without pay for his company.Can I either get 4 years back pay, or some sweat equity in the business. he will probably show the business to be in the red, when it comes to profits, and fix his records so that it looks like its value has not increased in the last 4 years.He fixed them with exwife.

he alters his financial records for loans, taxes, etc. and did so with the spouse before me. He will most likely claim I wasn't real employee and state I didnt work often or volunteered to help him just as his spouse. I traveled to business conf. and meetings and acted on behalf company in such capacity. He will dispute the original salary etc. there was a w-4 form.

this will be his ploy to not pay me anything in divorce settlement. any suggestions?

1. David A Schuck

5

1

Best Answer

Answered . Possibly. If the court determines that you were an owner of the company, it is possible, but unlikely that you could obtain wages. If the court determines that you were not an owner of the business, it may be possible to recover unpaid wages. If you were an employee and not an owner, then the court will be called upon to deterine (1) whetehr you worked, (2) how much you worked, (3) what your agreement for wages was, and (4) whether the agreement complied with Oregon and federal minimum wage laws.

In addition to unpaid wages, you may be able to recover penalties for any wages, minimum wages, overtime wages that was earned within the statutory period of time. Finally, you may be able to recover your attorney fees and costs in prosecuting such a claim.

Some firms offer free consultation and take wage cases on a contingency fee, essentially being paid to win.

2. Kevin Elliott Parks

3

1

Answered . I agree with my colleague's response, as it certainly seems that you have a viable claim one way or another. There are statutory time limitations on such claims, however, so you'd be well advised to pursue them sooner rather than later.

If you haven't already, you should consult with your divorce attorney about all of these issues, as a thorough understanding and valuation of the claim(s) is necessary, whether you attempt to pursue the employment related matters independently or whether they're pursued as part of the divorce proceedings (the latter being somewhat more typical).