CAN I SUE MY SOON TO BE EX-HUSBAND FOR KNOWINGLY EXPOSING ME TO GENITAL HERPES THAT HE HAD FOR ABOUT 15 YEARS PRIOR TO MEETING .

Asked over 5 years ago - Atlanta, GA

MY SOON TO BE EX-SPOUSE HAS NOW HAD GENITAL HERPES FOR ABOUT 25 FIVE YEARS,HE KNOWINGLY EXPOSED ME TO IT AND DID NOT TELL ME ABOUT IT UNTILL AFTER WE HAD BECOME INTIMATE. WE DATED FOR 6 MONTHS BEFORE WE BECAME INTIMATE AND HE HAD AMPLE TIME TO TELL ME AND GIVE ME THE CHANCE TO DECIDE IF i WANTED TO BE INVOLVED WITH SOMEONE WITH THIS BACKGROUND.HE TOLD ME OVER THE TELEPHONE,WOULD NOT MEET ME FACE TO FACE AS AN ADULT SHOULD BUT CALLED ME AND TOLD ME ABOUT HIS PROBLEM. AFTER I CRIED FOR ABOUT 2 WEEKS STRAIGHT,I FINALLY ASKED HIM WHY,HE HAS NEVER GIVEN ME AN ANSWER TO THIS DAY.I NOW HAVE TO FACE MY LIFE WITH A STD THAT I WOULD HAVE NEVER HAD IF HE HAD BEEN A MAN AND TOLD ME ABOUT HIS PROBLEM,AND NOW I ALSO HAVE THE CHARGE TO INFORM ANYONE I CHOOSE TO BECOME INTIMATE WITH ABOUT THE STD I'VE BEEN EXPOSED TO.IT'S NOT RIGHT AND IT'S NOT FAIR,BECAUSE I'M SURE THERE WILL BE A FEW PERSONS THAT I'M INTERESTED IN ON A SERIOUS LEVEL,THAT WILL WALK AWAY FROM THE RELATIONSHIP AFTER I TELL THEM ABOUT MY PROBLEM.MY SOON TO BE EX AND I WERE TOGETHER FOR ABOUT 17 YEARS AND NOW WE ARE SEPARATING,ENDING IN THE "D".THIS HAS EATEN AWAY AT ME LIKE A CANCER SINCE HE TOLD ME AND IT HAS REALLY AFFECTED OUR RELATIONSHIP BECAUSE,IT'S HARD TO LOVE SOMEONE YOU DON'T TRUST.PLEASE HELP ME WITH ANY POSITIVE ADVICE.

1. Frank A Selden

Answered . If he knowingly, negligently affected you with a STD then there are ways to sue him. Happens more frequently with aids than with herpes but could be done. Most attorneys in this area will take the case on a contingent fee (if the settlement would be worth their time) with an advance due for costs.