Can I sue my sister for telling lies about me?

Asked over 3 years ago - San Diego, CA

My sister was telling to all her friends that I was her ex husband woman (even to our family too). She was saying that me and her ex caught us doing something, and that is the reason why they are getting divorce. But before that happen, on 2007 my sister bit me and she went in jail for that. She bit me because she was upset of me for not buying the old car and she can't get a commission from the dealer. Ofcourse, we went to the court and she lied to the judge. She is claiming that she hit me because she caught me and her ex doing something. I was shocked and can not reply what she said. So I decided to move back to San Diego after that. After a year, my mom called me about the accusation. All her accusations is not true, I wish we can do lie detector for that coz I am tired of it.

Pro

1

2

Answered . The best thing you can do is to stay as far away from your sister as possible.

2. Kevin Francis Guyette

Answered . Technically you can sue for falsehoods, but even if you could prove damages, how could you collect if she has insufficient funds?

You could proceed to get an order of protection, but that may be costly.

Think through what you want to do.

Do not feel as if you must suffer; perhaps confronting her in front of people she has lied to would be your best remedy

3. Brian C. Pascale

Pro

Answered . You can absolutely sue your sister for defamation. The only issue is the statute of limitations. You need to consult with a California Personal Injury attorney to make sure your claim is still viable.