Can I sue my school for vandalism done to my car in a campus parking lot?

Asked over 1 year ago - Baton Rouge, LA

Someone hit and then vandalized my car while it was parked in my dorm parking lot. I want to know if I would be successful in suing the university for failure to protect my property. I pay to park in this lot, and there are supposed to be campus pd patrolling the lot.Also the lighting in the parking lot is poor.

Pro

4

Answered . Report it to your insurance company to resolve.

2. George Costas Andriotis

3

Answered . Report the incident to campus police but I'm certain you signed a waiver when you paid for your parking permit.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.
  3. Joseph Mark Miller

1

Answered . First, you should report it to Campus police immediately, and then file a claim with your insurance company. Then approach the university with a request for any surveillance they might have. This may shed more light on what happened and you'll be in a better position to evaluate pursuing the University as opposed to the people that caused the damage, if they are identifiable.

4. Christopher Steven Hoffmann

2

Answered . Even if you signed a contract waiving damages, these are not a defense to a tort claim for negligence in some states. Also, waivers are strictly construed. Some states allow a cause of action if there is like or similar conduct in the past and the landowner fails to safeguard from those acts thereafter. Call a local attorney to see what the law is in your state.

24 Hour Attorney Call Center (314) 361-4242 or visit us on the Web at http://www.hoffmannpersonalinjury.com.