Can I sue my school for vandalism done to my car in a campus parking lot?

Baton Rouge, LA |

Someone hit and then vandalized my car while it was parked in my dorm parking lot. I want to know if I would be successful in suing the university for failure to protect my property. I pay to park in this lot, and there are supposed to be campus pd patrolling the lot.Also the lighting in the parking lot is poor.

Report the incident to campus police but I'm certain you signed a waiver when you paid for your parking permit.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.

Even if you signed a contract waiving damages, these are not a defense to a tort claim for negligence in some states. Also, waivers are strictly construed. Some states allow a cause of action if there is like or similar conduct in the past and the landowner fails to safeguard from those acts thereafter. Call a local attorney to see what the law is in your state.

24 Hour Attorney Call Center (314) 361-4242 or visit us on the Web at http://www.hoffmannpersonalinjury.com.

Report it to your insurance company to resolve.

First, you should report it to Campus police immediately, and then file a claim with your insurance company. Then approach the university with a request for any surveillance they might have. This may shed more light on what happened and you'll be in a better position to evaluate pursuing the University as opposed to the people that caused the damage, if they are identifiable.