Skip to main content

Can I sue my place of work because of sexual harassment?

Eugene, OR |

The people I work with are women and would ask me questions about my sex life and watch porn in the back room when I was working. They would bully and taunt me, in trying go get me to answer their questions about my private life. They also insinuated that my mom and boyfriend were having a relationship because my mom drove him to my work and he gave me a smoothie. They also would text me questions about my sex life, like "what is my favorite sex position." I would never respond.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


I'm sorry that you have had to endure such an environment. Be sure to follow the policies provided by your company to report such issues. Failure to follow the policies provided by the company could bar a future suit. Depending on the size of the company, the policies may be online or have been provided to you in an employee handbook. The smaller the company, the less likely that a policy exists. You can ask your supervisor for a copy. If the supervisor is part of the problem, then your may wish to contact that persons superior. Once you find the policy, review it carefully. You may wish to contact an employment attorney in your area to assist you. If you follow the policy and the harassment or hostile environment continues, you may wish to contact an employment attorney for assistance.

The comments by this author to questions posted on Avvo are designed to foster a general understanding of what might be the law governing the area of the legal problem stated and suggest what might be the approach to finding a legal solution. Under no circumstances is this author acting as the attorney for the party who posted the question or as the attorney for subsequent readers to the question or response and no attorney client relationship is being formed. This attorney's comments are not intended to be a substitute for getting legal advice from a licensed attorney. A reader of this author's comments should never act on the information provided in these comments as though these comments were legal advice and should always seek legal advice in a personal consultation with an attorney in their jurisdiction before taking action. The information provided here is not intended to cover every situation with similar facts. Please remember that the law varies between states and other countries and is always changing through actions of the courts and the Legislature. In accordance with IRS regulations, I must inform you that any US tax advice contained in this message was not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed under federal tax law. By regulation, a taxpayer cannot rely on professional advice to avoid federal tax penalties unless that advice is reflected in a comprehensive tax opinion that conforms to strict requirements.

Denise Kingue-Bonnaig

Denise Kingue-Bonnaig


This type of behavior is prohibited in the workplace. To best protect your interests, it’s definitely necessary to report this to the company, so they can investigate your complaint, and then take corrective action. Please consult with an employment lawyer before you report this conduct to the company because you want to make sure that there is no misunderstanding as to whether or not you lodged the complaint, and what exactly you were complaining about. You want to ensure that whatever form of unlawful conduct (be it gender discrimination, sexual harassment, and/or hostile work environment) you are complaining about is clearly understood by the company. You want to ensure that the company will not deny that you lodged such a complaint. Certain complaints protect you against retaliation, and certain complaints do not protect you against retaliation. The law prohibits retaliation against employees who make very specific types of complaints- you want to ensure that your complaint to the company triggers protection from retaliation. If you lodge a complaint that does not fall within the legal framework that would trigger protection from retaliation, you could be without recourse if you are fired. Again, schedule a consultation with an employment lawyer to get fully educated about your rights under the federal, state, and local laws, before you lodge that complaint with the company.

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer