Skip to main content

Can i sue my mom for emotional distress?

Los Angeles, CA |

I have been abused all my life. I just recently turned 18 and I can no longer handle the abuse. my father passed away when I was little and my mom took advantage of the situation. last year i attempted suicide 4 times, once landed in a psychiatric hospital for a little over a week. I was diagnosed with extreme depressive disorder. but from the ages 10 to 16 i was going to therapy because at the age of 12 i was placed in foster care to protect me from my moms physical and emotional abuse at the time. I'm still currently being emotionally abused to this very night.

Attorney Answers 2

  1. I'm sorry that you went through this. I don't completely understand your question. This is really not something that a lawyer on Avvo can answer for you.

    You're a an adult so you do have choices. This seems more like a mental health question. If you're currently suicidal I would really suggest some mental health counseling or call a suicide prevention counseling. Some kind of treatment for your depression could really help.

  2. Are you living with your mother? You are an adult. You can move out. It sounds like you need to deal with your emotional issues before you worry about legal issues. You also need to think about what would be your goal in suing your mother. What is the outcome you are seeking?

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics