Can I sue my mechanic for getting me a ticket? And can I sue them for driving my car without my permission?

Ephrata, PA |
Filed under: Car repairs

I went to a shop to get an alignment for our car. Without permission, the mechanic took it out for a test drive and when he pulled back into the shop a cop shows up. I've been waiting for DMV to send me my paperwork (for registration) back to get a vintage tag for my car, so my car at this point has not yet been inspected. So, can I sue my mechanic for driving my car without permission? and for getting me a ticket while HE was behind MY car?

In many cases, the documents you signed, but if you are like most of us, you did not read, allow the mechanic to test drive the vehicle. Even if you did not, there is a strong argument that can be made by the shop that the operation of the vehicle was required to repair the vehicle.

That being said, it is recommended that you retain counsel with regards to the citation. You may be able to demonstrate that the vehicle was not to be driven on a roadway. In essence, you would be asking the officer to withdraw the citation. Under your circumstances you describe, this argument may have merit. However, you should consult with an attorney as soon as possible to discuss your case in detail.

Car repairs topics

Recommended articles about Car repairs