Can I sue my landlord for water damage to my mattress?

My apartment got flooded because the toilet tank broke upstairs. It damaged a lot of things. all of my clothes got wet, some of my shoes were damaged, but my mattress was the worst. I asked the landlord for a month's rent to pay for the mattress; however, he refused, because he says I should have had renter's insurance. should I take it to small claims court?

Bronx, NY -

Find Out More

Attorney Answers (3)

Richard J. Chertock

Richard J. Chertock

Landlord / Tenant Lawyer - Melville, NY

You can sue your landlord and the upstairs tenant if it is someone other than your landlord but you are not likely to win. Your lease probably has a provision saying the landlord is not liable and requiring you to have insurance. It may still be worth a shot in small claims court though since small claims court does not always follow the rules of evidence and they tend to try and get people to settle cases rather than go to trial.

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please... more
Jayson Lutzky

Jayson Lutzky

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Bronx, NY

Yes, go to small claims court. Bring your lease and a copy of proof of damages when you appear in front of the arbitrator.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate... more
George Costas Andriotis

George Costas Andriotis

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Tarpon Springs, FL

Yes but you're not likely to prevail as there's likely a clause in your Lease requiring you carry renters insurance.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at

Related Topics

Landlord-tenant law

Landlord-tenant law is governed mostly by state laws, and covers issues like security deposit limits and deadlines, evictions, and the right to withhold rent.

Featured Legal Guides

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.