Can I sue my landlord for water damage to my mattress?

Bronx, NY |

My apartment got flooded because the toilet tank broke upstairs. It damaged a lot of things. all of my clothes got wet, some of my shoes were damaged, but my mattress was the worst. I asked the landlord for a month's rent to pay for the mattress; however, he refused, because he says I should have had renter's insurance. should I take it to small claims court?

1. You can sue your landlord and the upstairs tenant if it is someone other than your landlord but you are not likely to win. Your lease probably has a provision saying the landlord is not liable and requiring you to have insurance. It may still be worth a shot in small claims court though since small claims court does not always follow the rules of evidence and they tend to try and get people to settle cases rather than go to trial.

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this e-mail and all copies and attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. IRS Circular 230 Notice: Unless specifically stated otherwise, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Unless specifically stated otherwise, this communication shall not be deemed to be legal or tax advice, and no attorney-client relationship shall be deemed to have been created.

2. Yes but you're not likely to prevail as there's likely a clause in your Lease requiring you carry renters insurance.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.

3. Yes, go to small claims court. Bring your lease and a copy of proof of damages when you appear in front of the arbitrator.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

Landlord-tenant law topics