Can I sue my landlord for defamation of character?

Asked almost 4 years ago - Jay, ME

She went to my neaibor and told her my boyfriend and I don't pay rent so we are getting kicked out because we don't work!

1. Andrew Daniel Myers

Answered . You 'can' sue, but the more important question is whether you have a claim that is supportable in court. Defamation requires proof that incorrect statements of fact, not opinion, were made to third parties and that it caused harm to you. Here is a link to a guide on defamation law to help you determine whether the law applies to your circumstances.

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/how-to-kno...

I truly wish you the best.

If you find my answer helpful, please click the ‘thumbs-up’ tab below. Thank you.

This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. Laws vary widely from state to state. You should rely only on the advice given to you during a personal consultation by a local attorney who is thoroughly familiar with state laws and the area of practice in which your concern lies.

2. Susan Pernick

Answered . If what your landlord told your neighbor and her boyfriend is true, you are being evicted for not paying rent, you have no claim for slander or defamation, because what your landlord said is true. Truth is an absolute defense to slander and defamation claims.

DISCLAIMER - THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE, AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED. THIS IS FOR GENERAL INFORMATION PURPOSES ONLY.