Can i sue my husband for libel, slander, defamation or extortion and blackmail

Woodbury, NY |
Filed under: Divorce

I filed for divorce about 8 months ago. Since then my husband has suddenly maintained he has absolutely no money and I have to turn over large sums of money to him for his business. He is using our grown children 22 and 25, to extort money from me and has told then terrible lies about me because I did not fully cooperate with his demands. He has written to me about how he will get the children to make me turn over the money.

You can sue for libel if the person who distributes the information does so knowing that the information is false and that it will damage your reputation in the community. Though you may disagree with what he is saying, truth is always a defense to such a lawsuit. I am not suggesting that information he distributes is true, but these kinds of cases are very difficult to prove and win. Extortion and blackmail are not causes of action in a civil setting, and are normally brought in a criminal court.

Recommended articles about Divorce