Skip to main content

Can I sue my husband for emotional distress?

Harrisonburg, VA |
Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

My husband had an affair which caused the end of our marriage. I was so distraught I attempted suicide. Can I sue him and/or the other woman for emotional distress or something similar?

Attorney Answers 2


Probably not. There have been a few lawsuits for "intentional infliction of emotional distress", but your ex probably wasn't trying to hurt you as much as he was indulging his own desire for physical gratification. Call some attorneys in the Harrisonburg are in the field of "accidents and personal injuries" and see.

[Please note: I'm only licensed to practice law in the State of Washington. This communication does not comprise legal advice, nor does it form an attorney-client relationship.]

Mark as helpful


Unlikely. But you can certainly sue him for divorce to end the marriage. Courts in most states don't pay much attention to adultery, even for custody issues. See a family lawyer for help.

Disclaimer: I'm only licensed in CA. Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics