Skip to main content

Can I sue my husband and his other wife for being a bigamist...

New York, NY |

I've been married to my husband for 23 years and separated for 1 yr, we are not legally separated or divorced, but he married his girlfriend this month in a muslim ceremonial. he's muslim and I'm catholic what can I do sue him and her can he go to jail

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Bigamy is a crime, although the laws vary between states. From my quick review I saw that there are some unique nuances to New York law governing bigamy, so you should see a family lawyer licensed in the state to discuss the matter. You may then (on their advice) bring the attention to the attention of the law.

    I am licensed in New Mexco and Pennsylvania, and therefore any discussion of issues related to other states must considered within that context. In addition, my comments are not intended to create a legal representation but merely to respond to the limited facts presented in the question. A more complete legal areview can be obtained through local counsel.

  2. It is the crime of bigamy. But in 29 years of practice in NYS I have never heard of anyone being arrested for it.

    If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

  3. Your best option is to simply pursue a divorce.

    It is always advisable to contact an attorney. For a consultation, please contact my office at 516-669-3295. We are located in West Babylon, NY and proudly offer very low rates and free consultations. <a href="">Please visit us on the web.</a>

  4. I have represented wives in both a bigamy matter and one where there was no civil license, only a religious ceremony. Even without a civil ceremony or marriage license, NYS law will recognize a marriage that was entered pursuant to a valid religious ceremony. While bigamy is technically a crime, I have not heard of anyone being arrested for it. The bigamous marriage is technically void. Your next step should be to commence an action for divorce.

  5. His 2nd marriage is void as he is still legally married to you. My advice to you is to move forward on the divorce, and go after him for equitable distribution, support, or any other relief that you are entitled to as a result of your 23 year marriage.

    Feel free to call me for a free telephone consultation (646) 587-0188.

    Leta Liou, Esq.
    The Law Firm of Liou & Maisonet, PLLC
    124 Nassau Street, Suite 2
    New York, New York 10038
    (646) 587-0188

    Answers to questions by an attorney for The Law Firm of Liou & Maisonet, PLLC are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics