Can I sue my husband and his other wife for being a bigamist...

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

I've been married to my husband for 23 years and separated for 1 yr, we are not legally separated or divorced, but he married his girlfriend this month in a muslim ceremonial. he's muslim and I'm catholic what can I do sue him and her can he go to jail

1. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

2

Answered . It is the crime of bigamy. But in 29 years of practice in NYS I have never heard of anyone being arrested for it.

2. Louis Lawrence Sternberg

Pro

1

Answered . Your best option is to simply pursue a divorce.

3. Jody N. Gerber

Answered . I have represented wives in both a bigamy matter and one where there was no civil license, only a religious ceremony. Even without a civil ceremony or marriage license, NYS law will recognize a marriage that was entered pursuant to a valid religious ceremony. While bigamy is technically a crime, I have not heard of anyone being arrested for it. The bigamous marriage is technically void. Your next step should be to commence an action for divorce.

4. Leta Liou

Answered . His 2nd marriage is void as he is still legally married to you. My advice to you is to move forward on the divorce, and go after him for equitable distribution, support, or any other relief that you are entitled to as a result of your 23 year marriage.

Feel free to call me for a free telephone consultation (646) 587-0188.

Sincerely,
    Leta Liou, Esq.
    The Law Firm of Liou & Maisonet, PLLC
    124 Nassau Street, Suite 2
    New York, New York 10038
    (646) 587-0188
    www.DivorceInNYC.com

5. Norman Antonio Stiteler

1

Answered . Bigamy is a crime, although the laws vary between states. From my quick review I saw that there are some unique nuances to New York law governing bigamy, so you should see a family lawyer licensed in the state to discuss the matter. You may then (on their advice) bring the attention to the attention of the law.