Can I sue my gym over a broken thumb?

Asked over 1 year ago - Wylie, TX

I was using a weight machine ( one with the weight stack with the pin). This one had other 5 lbs. weights that hung above & you can slide them down ontop of the stack. I went to put a 5 lbs. weight that was down on the stack up and one of the 5 lbs. that was up fell. It fell on my thumb and broke it.

1. Richard Kurt Arbuckle

Pro

8

Answered . It is possible, but a tough case. You will need to get an attorney to go over the details. A weight should not just fall, so it depends on exactly how it happened, and several other facts.

2. Matthew C Simon

Pro

8

Answered . Possibly. Was the machine faulty or defective? Did the gym know about it? Depending on the gym's insurance coverage, at the least, your medical bills may be covered. Seek an experienced personal injury attorney in your area to discuss further. Good luck.

3. Jeffrey Mark Adams

7

Answered . Candidly, it doesn't sound like a defect. More than likely it was your use of the machine. Sorry for being blunt. Do, however, contact local and qualified counsel.

4. Brian Heath Crockett

Pro

5

Answered . This looks like a tough case. I would make a complaint with the gym and tell them you aren't looking to sue, but rather just to get your.medicals paid. Otherwise you will probably have to sue in justice court on your own. Good luck.

Pro

4

Answered . See if the gym has insurance to cover your medical bills.

6. Don Karotkin

1

Answered . Yes, you can sue the gym. The Texas constitution guarantees all citizens free access to our courts. This means that anyone can sue anyone, at any time, anywhere, for any reason, for any amount of money and without first proving anything to anyone. However, filing a lawsuit and winning one are two entirely different things. Winning a lawsuit and actually recovering some money are also two entirely different things.

I agree with the other lawyers who have responded that the gym's liability might be very questionable. The other problem I see is that, without meaning to trivialize what you have suffered, unless you have a large loss in terms of earning capacity on account of it, a broken thumb generally would not produce a monetary recovery of sufficient magnitude to make a lawsuit economically feasible to pursue.

7. Paul Hilmon Cannon

1

Answered . If you consult with an attorney about your case, remember to bring the contact you have with the gym. Waiver's of liability for negligence and even gross negligence are not uncommon in gym contracts.

8. Kael Matthew Briski

1

Answered . I'm not a Texas attorney (California) but an additional hurdle you may face is that you may have signed a waiver when you joined the gym. I agree with most counsel that this is a difficult case.