Can i sue my friend who owe me money? He claims that he has no cash but told me his dad will pay me back the money he owes me.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Sunapee, NH

At first, he asked me for money saying that he do not have cash with me. He told me he will pay me back asap once he got the money. Subsequently, he asked me again for me to pay for his car installment... etc

1. Travis Wayne Story

2

Answered . The short answer is yes you can sue him, but I do not know how much he has borrowed, so it might not be worth the investment it would take to win the money back via a lawsuit. The first thing you need to do is never lend this guy any more money. His dad is not obligated to pay you back, so there is no sure way you are going to collect. I would also suggest, you find out if there is a small claims court, or something similar in your state, as it sounds to me, from the facts above, that we are talking about a small amount of money.

2. Daniel DeMaria

Pro

Answered . I am not licensed in NH, but hope you'll find this information useful.

I agree with my colleague, and want to emphasize the recovery part of the equation. There is no point in suing someone if you cannot collect. Even if a judge awards you damages of $5000 (hypothetically), that does not mean that $5000 will magically appear in your bank account. You still need to take the Court's judgment and "enforce" it. And so unless your friend has money to pay the award you make not want to sue him. Having said that, a judgment can be enforced many years after the fact, so if you think your friend will get money eventually, you may want to sue him and register the judgment. You only have a set amount of time to sue him and so you should decide quickly, depending on when you made the loan and/or last received a payment. Good luck.