Can I sue my former roommate over damage costs?

Asked over 1 year ago - Ann Arbor, MI

My former roommate resided in the apartment a year before I moved in, then she subleased the apartment to me. We both lived in the same apartment for one year. It's a single liability.
Some damages in the apartment were done before I moved in and I have documented those damages on an inventory checklist before I moved into the apartment and she co-signed the inventory checklist. I want her to give me a portion of the money that was deducted from my security deposit fo damages that were already there when I moved in. Can I take her to small claims court? What are the chances of me winning?

1. David B. Fordyce

1

Answered . Yes, you could sue in small claims court. Because you have her signature on the list of damages that pre-existed your taking over the lease, you have proof that you did not do this damage. This is a pretty strong case. However, be sure your former roommate is collectible before spending the time, effort and money suing her. That is, does she have assets, or a source of income shuch as a job so that you can collect your judgment?

2. James M. Osak

Answered . YES you can sue her.
    Get the judgment and later on when shes
    working at a decent job you can garnish
    her wages if she refuses to pay you.