Can I sue my former employer for slander and/or deformation?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Sparks, NV

My name is Jason and I had been working as an on-site maintenance manager at an apartment complex in Carmichael, CA. Back in October of 2011, I quit my job due to a disagreement with my supervisor and moved back to Sparks, NV. Since moving to Nevada, I have been unable to find employment despite sending my resume out to numerous job postings. I have had a few interviews yet still nothing. Now last night I received a phone call from one of my previous tenants in CA stating that my old supervisor is telling people that I broke into the office and stole money from them. This is 100% untrue. I can get statements from more than one individual claiming that they were told this from my previous employer. Do I have a case? If so, who should I contact?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Jacob Adam Regar

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You may have a case for defamation against your old supervisor. If the false statements were spoken to others, the tort would be deemed "slander," and if the false statements were communicated in writing to others, the tort would be "libel."

    Considering you are probably a non-public figure, a negligence standard would be applied to your supervisor's knowledge of the truth or falsity of the statement that you committed burglary and theft.

    The questions that remain are whether you suffered damages (harm to your reputation) and if so, how much. You can contact a personal injury attorney in CA, especially one that handles defamation cases. You can review the facts and the affect on your reputation with an attorney to see if it is worth pursuing a case.

    Also, something to consider is the likelihood of recovering a judgement against your former supervisor, should you win a case against them.

    I wish you the best in resolving this matter favorably.

    This website contains general information about legal matters. The information provided by Jacob Regar is not... more
  2. Christian K. Lassen II


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Unless you have sustained damges, these cases will cost you more than you may recover, as most defamation lawyers want an up-front fee. Slander is the oral communication of false statements which are harmful to someone’s reputation. Spoken opinions which don't contain statements of fact don't constitute slander. The basic elements of a claim of slander include; 1.defamatory statement 2. published to third parties 3.which the speaker/publisher knew or should have known was false. Contact a local defamation lawyer to protect your rights and reputation.

    Lassen Law Firm Personal Injury Lawyers Philadelphia. Phone 215-510-6755.
  3. Jonathan Craig Reed


    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . As pointed out in previous answers, many slander or libel claims against non-public figures are not economically worth pursuing and now with the rise of social media a lot of people want to sue for slander or libel. However, a slander that prevents you from earning a living is a huge injury. I do not practice in this area, but it does seem to me that you should consult with attorneys who do practice in this area. To make any initial consultation more worthwhile you should bring previous tax returns and pay stubs (to show prior earning history), rejection letters from places you made employment applications to, and statements from witnesses to the slanders. I wish you luck.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,354 answers this week

3,338 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,354 answers this week

3,338 attorneys answering