Can I sue my former employer for harassment and slander after quitting?

New York, NY |

After 3 weeks of no longer being employed with the firm, my former boss called me at night and accused me of gossiping about the firm. He also held a firm-wide meeting telling everyone that I had personal problems and that no one should talk to me again.

None of this is true. What should I do?

If the conduct first started after you quit then claims would be limited to slander (damage to reputation) and perhaps infliction of emotional distress (but very doubtful). If you quit because of the intolerable conditions at your workplace, then perhaps you have an employment claim, depending upon the motivating factor behind the behavior. Feel free to email or call for additional information. Kind Regards.

Ryan Finn * 518.213.0115 * Rfinn@hackermurphy.com * Referrals are the highest form of compliment * Hacker Murphy serves clients throughout New York State and always pays referring attorneys a reasonable referral fee in contingency cases

Probably nothing, there's no real damages here in the facts as provided.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and you should contact an attorney to confirm or research further any statements made in this answer. Any statements of fact or law I have made in this answer pertain solely to New York State and should not be relied upon in any way in any other jurisdiction. Additionally, we also encourage you to reach out to us via Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/WhiteRoseMarks) or Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/WhiteRoseMarks) if you have follow up questions as we do not monitor questions after providing an initial answer.

So long as what he said was within his company, I don't think there is anything you can do. However, if you are going to use the company on your resume or when you apply for another job, you should have a consultation with an employment lawyer to discuss ways to prevent him from giving you a bad reference.

It’s key to schedule a consultation with an experienced employment lawyer to determine if the end of your employment occurred due to a constructive discharge, and if so, what your rights are under the appropriate statutes. It seems odd for your former boss to be contacting you, that too at night.

Whether or not you have claims for slander would depend on specifics of what was said, whether you can prove that slanderous remarks were made, and that you have been damaged by the same.

Also, you want to ensure that your professional mobility is not affected if you ever list this former employer/boss as a reference, or sign a release with a prospective employer to have the former employer/boss be contacted to enquire about your performance.

An experienced employment lawyer can help you resolve any issues that could arise in this regard, as well.

-Denise K. Bonnaig
212-374-1511