Skip to main content

Can I sue my former employer for firing me me for reasons directly related to post traumatic stress disorder?

Farmingdale, NY |

My former employer fired me for reasons directly related to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. A few months before my termination (3 months total) I found my mother unresponsive on the bathroom floor and after doing CPR and getting her to a hospital she passed away on me. I didn't expect that to have the impact that it had on me. I couldn't sleep, or eat. Kept having nightmares. I keep reliving that night over and over, blaming myself. This trauma carried over into my everyday activities and my work. I told my manager the reason for my lack of concentration and minor mistakes were because Im constantly sleep deprived, depressed and moody. I got help, seeing a psych and a therapist and they have me on meds. But I wasn't given time to heal and they offered no help. Can I sue for wrongful termin

Attorney Answers 4


The only thing I can think of is the ADA, but you'd need to ask an expert on that. Otherwise, if you were an at will employee you can be fired for any reason, and if you were contracted, it sounds like they have cause.

I do NOT know you. I am NOT your lawyer. This answer is provided for the general public who may have similar queries. The answer provided is NOT definitive. I do NOT know all of the facts of your case and NO attorney-client relationship is established. Please do not use my answer to tell your lawyer what to do. Free advise is worth exactly what you are paying. Trust the lawyer who is charging you for his/her time and expertise. If you can no longer trust your lawyer, then hire someone else. I am always interested in new clients and business opportunities and would welcome your call or email to discuss matters further. For more information, please feel free to visit my website or schedule an appointment.

Mark as helpful


Post traumatic stress disorder is a disability and if that is why your employer fired you, you should sit down with an experienced employment attorney for a free consultation immediately.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and you should contact an attorney to confirm or research further any statements made in this answer. Any statements of fact or law I have made in this answer pertain solely to New York State and should not be relied upon in any way in any other jurisdiction. Additionally, we also encourage you to reach out to us via Twitter (!/WhiteRoseMarks) or Facebook ( if you have follow up questions as we do not monitor questions after providing an initial answer.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


You MAY have a claim under the Americans with Disability Act. You should speak to an attorney experienced in this type of claim as soon as possible.

If you don't know one in your area go to and search for one in your area.

Good luck,

No attorney client relationship has been created by this answer.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


It’s crucial for an experienced employment lawyer to determine (after delving more deeply into the facts with you), whether you were terminated on account of the employer’s ‘well-founded’ reasons that you were performing poorly, or whether you were actually terminated because of your medical condition/disability.

If it appears that your medical condition/disability was the motivating factor for your termination, you may have a case of disability discrimination under the NY State Human Rights Law.

It would also be key to evaluate whether employees similarly situated to you have suffered post-traumatic stress disorder, exhibited similar symptoms, but still kept their jobs. If so, are you of a different race/gender/sexual orientation, etc from them?

-Denise K. Bonnaig

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Employment topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics