Can I sue my former employer and its management team for termination of my employment?

Topeka, KS |

I was an employee with AT&T mobility and acted as a CWA union steward. During the time I was an employee and steward I witnessed several incidents of customers, who came into our store, and acted in hostile and abusive ways. Some examples are as follows: Screaming obscenities at employees and in the presence of other customers; threatening speech; and physically threatening behavior such as looming and fake rushes towards people to intimidate. I brought this to management's attention on many occasions. I was told that it would need to be discussed in a meeting but when a meeting was requested I was always blown off till about a year later. At this time I told the manager I was calling our ethics hot-line. She sent me home and later terminated me for a "hostile work environment".

The National Labor Relations Act prohibits employers from disciplining employees for advocating for employee rights. If you were the shop stewart you should have filed a grievance and or a complaint with the National Labor Relations Board. There are strict timelines for filing grievances and complaints, so time is of the essence. Find an employment attorney here on the find an attorney tab as quickly as possible if you haven't blown the timelines already. You could also call the local bar association for a referral.
Best of luck!

NO LEGAL ADVICE GIVEN. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship set forth in a written document executed by the client and by me or a member of my firm. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. My law firm does NOT provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your case. I can give advice, make recommendations and answer specific questions only after reviewing the evidence and documents applicable to a specific client and following a personal meeting in my office in which the relevant facts can be developed and analyzed. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal administrative law; professional licenses and permits; education law; employment and labor law; and litigation matters in state and federal courts. Our practice is limited to the States of Oregon and California. If you have a case in any other state we would not be able to assist you. Unless we have a signed written fee agreement you are not my or my firm's client.

The National Labor Relations Act prohibits an employer from firing or otherwise discriminating against an employee who tries to make things better at work for himself or herself AND OTHER EMPLOYEES. This kind of activity, done on behalf of the workers, is protected in exactly the same way that union activity is protected. Both are called "protected concerted activity." You can file an unfair labor practice with the National Labor Relations Board ( for violating your right to engage in activities for the mutual aid and protection of the workers. There is a six month statute of limitation.

@MikaSpencer * * * PLEASE READ: All legal actions have time limits, called statutes of limitation. If you miss the deadline for filing your claim, you will lose the opportunity to pursue your case. Please consult with an experienced employment attorney as soon as possible to better preserve your rights. * * * Marilynn Mika Spencer provides information on Avvo as a service to the public, primarily when general information may be of assistance. Avvo is not an appropriate forum for an in-depth response or a detailed analysis. These comments are for information only and must not be taken as legal advice. Legal advice must pertain to specific, detailed facts which are impossible to gather on a public web site like Avvo. * * * No attorney-client relationship is created based on this information exchange. * * *

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes