Can I sue my former employer, he is blacklisting me

Asked over 1 year ago - Folsom, CA

I resigned from a management position at company 1 four years ago and started my own firm, company 2 ,I was a top employee at company 1 with great reviews. I had to close my firm in 2012. I am now seeking employment with another firm company 3. Company 1 is a large national company , I recently applied and was almost hired at company 3 I was very qualified . My last boss at company 1 is telling company 3 not to hire me, company 1 is company 3 biggest customer, can I win this battle ? I am more then qualified, company 1 is making it hard for me to find a job in the industry because they are connected with everyone in he industry

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Michael Robert Kirschbaum

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The answer to your question depends on what the former is saying about you and why they are saying it. It is unlawful to "blackball" a former employee but to be successful in such cases,you must be able t prove that the employer is proving prospective employers with false facts about you for the purpose of preventing you from becoming employed. You will need to review the specific facts with an experienced employment law attorney in order to obtain an information legal opinion and assess your rights and obligations.

    They say you get what you pay for, and this response is free, so take it for what it is worth. This is my opinion... more
  2. Christine C McCall


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . These are very tough cases. I assume that all of your instincts and info are correct. This really is what is happening. And it is despicable conduct. But how to prove?

    Company 3 wants no part of this fight. They will never get cross-wise with Company 1 over you. They have been very careful in their records and documents. Company 1 has made no records or documents that evidence a concerted effort and plan against you. Black-balling almost always occurs informally and without tangible evidence. That is partly why it is so reprehensible and invidious.

    Of course you should talk with a skilled and experienced litigator. Find one who won't hesitate to spend some serious $$$ in pre-lawsuit investigation. Perhaps some subterfuge inquiries can be set up to allow Company 1 to repeat its unlawful conduct, and that may be the key that unlocks some proof.

    This will be hard, but with skilled legal assistance it may be successful. Your very next step is serious and specific consultation about your specific facts with a few really good lawyers in this field.

    I wish you success.

    My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice.... more
  3. Marilynn Mika Spencer

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Mr. Kirschbaum and Ms. McCall have provided excellent guidance, with which I completely agree. Your best bet is to consult with one or more experienced employment law attorneys with whom you can discuss the details of your situation to see if you have a defamation claim or a claim for tortious interference with prospective economic advantage. Also, there are companies you or an attorney can hire to try to find out exactly what your former employer is saying about you. Finally, an attorney may be able to negotiate a resolution without litigation.

    To find a plaintiffs employment attorney in California, please go to the web site of the California Employment Lawyers Association (CELA). CELA is the largest and most influential bar association in the state for attorneys who represent working people. The web site is Click on "Find a CELA Member" and you can search by location and practice area. Many CELA attorneys represent clients throughout the state.

    I hope you can resolve your situation and wish you the best. *** All legal actions have time limits, called statutes of limitation. If you miss the... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,843 answers this week

2,901 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,843 answers this week

2,901 attorneys answering