Skip to main content

Can I sue my fiancé 's ex wife for slander, moral defamation or libel ?

La Mesa, CA |

My fiance's ex wife wrote a letter to my work place attempting to get me fired. Made false allegations against me and filed motion to strike in order to revoke the active restraining order against her that I filed last year. She's been trying to coerce my fiance to side her false allegations so RO will revoke. She wants to have access to their kids 24/7 when they're (kids) with us ( me and my fiancé), what can I do to stop her harassing me from my work place. She been causing too much stress and scandalous where I work. I'm an Er nurse and I have a very good reputation being a good RN for 18 years until she brought the drama at my work place :(

Attorney Answers 3

  1. You should pose this question to the attorney who is handling the family law case. Generally speaking, the filing of information in court proceeding is usually shielded from derivative tort actions by the litigation privilege. You should defend the motions in court and clarify any misstatements of fact.

  2. As my colleague said, you should file a report to the police about her violating the restraining order

  3. Well, give this some real thought before you step off of that ledge.

    She sure as heck sounds judgment proof to me.

    You can chase a defamation judgment for a couple of years, though. You won't find any skilled lawyer willing to do this case on contingency, so you will need to fund the case as you go. Several thousand dollars usually. It can take a year or two or even three. If you win, there is probably nothing to collect on. If there is, paying your judgment will diminish her assets and your fiance's support obligations will go up to compensate for her diminished financial capability. God knows what the family court judge will think of you as the fiance on the warpath and how that will play out in the family court results. But, yeah, heck yeah. You can give this one a run if you've a mind to.

    NOTHING SAID HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE! Read this notice BEFORE you contact me! My posts on Avvo in response to the public's questions are never offered as legal advice. Do not rely on any response posted by me as applicable to your specific problem or circumstances. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions - Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me or my law firm. My law firm does not provide free consultations. See for further details on that issue. Please do not call or email me with a “few questions.” I give advice, make recommendations, and answer specific questions only after reviewing the documentary record and other evidence applicable to a specific client, and only in the course of or following a conference with my client in which all of the relevant information can be identified and developed. AND I give legal advice ONLY in the course of an attorney-client relationship created and defined by a written contract for services, signed by my client and by me or a member of my firm, for which payment has been made. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; professional (State or federal licensing agency) discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic disputes involving universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We accept grievances, administrative claims, arbitrations, mediations, negotiations, and other non-litigation matters pertaining to employment, hospital and facility privileges, tenure, and contractual disputes. We conduct seminars and training in employment law for employers and union advocates, and in issues of professional/occupational licensing law for criminal defense attorneys. We accept NO contingency work, and we take no matters for which CCP discovery is applicable.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics