Can I sue my father's nursing home for an injury that happened while an attendant was getting him ready for bed.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Saint Louis, MO

My father has been on a catheter for three years. I have had to take him to a urologist to have it changed because the home where he is botches it every time. Three nights ago an attendant pulled my dad's catheter while getting him ready for bed. He has severe trauma to the urethra and has been hospitalized since it occurred. My father says that this attendant is always rough and has complained about him regularly. He says he told the gentleman to be careful but he did not heed my fathers warning. I am furious.

1. David W. Terry

4

Answered . You can certainly file a lawsuit against a nursing home for injuring your father. Not only are there policies and procedures that nursing homes are supposed to follow, but there are regulatory rules as well. Most of the policies and regulatory rules are designed to provide quality care to the residents or to keep the residents safe. I am in St. Louis and have been pursuing cases against the nursing home industry for twelve years. I would be happy to talk with you about your options.

2. Chris Matthew Limberopoulos

4

Answered . We don't have enough acts to determine whether you have an actionable claim.
    I suggest you visit a lawyer in St. Louis.
    Use the Find A Lawyer tab.

3. Thomas W. Pleasant

4

Answered . Your father may very well have a claim, but the cost and time to pursue a medical case like this could be cost prohibitive. You should discuss this with a lawyer in your state who specializes in medical cases.

4. Rick E Woods

Pro

Answered . You need to consult local counsel. Also contact your local state ombudsman.

5. Kenneth Lee LaBore

Pro

1

Answered . Nursing homes have a duty under federal and most state laws to prevent accidents and injuries. Although regular use of a catheter can cause problems with the urethra.

I would have the medical records reviewed by a nursing home neglect and abuse attorney in your area.