Can i sue my ex husband in a civil suit for lieing in family court if i can prove it

Asked about 3 years ago - Las Vegas, NV

my ex husband sued me for custody of my kid who is not his kid slandering me and lied under oth and i can prove it his suit cost me a lot of money i did not have.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Christian K. Lassen II


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . May be difficult to prove without sufficient evidence, however, contact a lawyer in your city for a free consultation to discuss.

  2. Garrett David May

    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . You certainly can sue. You will have a very hard time finding an attorney that will take this case on a contingency fee, so you will have out of pocket legal costs and fees. Something to consider as well is that he probably committed perjury; contracting the local DA might be worth it.

    I am sorry for this ordeal and wish you the best of luck.

  3. Jeffrey Mark Adams

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Proving and winning are not always the same. Be prepared for an uphill battle and expense. Good luck.

  4. Robert David Shapiro

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . You don't have a lot of details in your question, but instead of a civil suit, why not have your family lawyer file a motion to show cause to hold your husband in contempt for lying to the court assuming you have irrefutable evidence. Once a finding of contempt is made, you may be able to pursue restitution for costs, etc. By irrefutable evidence, I don't mean a swearing match where you swear that you are telling the truth and your husband is telling the truth. I mean finding a "smoking gun" such as another person who is independent of you willing to testify that your husband made everything up simply to get revenge, etc. or something similar to this.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,960 answers this week

2,777 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,960 answers this week

2,777 attorneys answering