Can I sue my ex-husband for unpaid bills, mostly Utility bills, that are on my credit report?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Laplace, LA

We have been divorces for almost 3 years. He lived in the house after I vacated, but all the utilities were in my name. He left over a $1000 in utilitiey bills before the house was forclosed on.

1. John Addison Vos

Best Answer

Answered . Yes. He used the energy, water, garbage etc. Small claims court is ready-made for your situation.

Sorry that he is not taking responsibility for his 'bills'. Could be one reason he is now an 'ex'.

2. Nima Taherian

1

1

Answered . You can sue your ex-husband, but you will still be responsible for those bills since your name is on them. Remember you signed an agreement with the utilities to pay for services. The utility doesn't care who actually uses them but who's name is on the account.

3. Scot J Eliot

Answered . Yes, if you pay these bills you should be able to recover the money from your ex-spouse. Ideally this issue would have been addressed in your divorce judgment; you should review the judgment to see if there are any relevant provisions. I don't see a way that you could recover for injury to your credit, etc.