Can I sue my ex husband for sharing information with my new husband's ex wife?

Asked over 1 year ago - Aurora, CO

I suspect my ex husband is sharing information with my new husband's ex wife in order to enhance both of their cases. Can I bring a contempt motion against him?

1. Stephen Clark Harkess

Pro

4

1

Answered . The First Amendment guarantees freedom of speach. Unless what is being shared is legally protected information, there is nothing you can do about it. If there is information in your case which is truly confidential, you will need to seek a court order to limit its disclosure. Otherwise, people are free to talk to each other.

2. Paula Brown Sinclair

5

1

Answered . Contempt is a sanction through which a court enforces its own orders. Bringing a contempt motion requires first an allegation that a specific order has been entered, and then that the order was violated, with a description of the circumstances. Without those initial allegations, a contempt motion is frivolous and the movant risks sanctions.

What you have described sounds like almost predictable human behavior. Except for defining crimes, the law is not well-suited to regulating human behavior.

Best wishes for an outcome you can accept

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.
  3. Karen Tallent Munzer

Pro

4

1

Answered . A party is held in contempt when they have violated an order of the court. It is doubtful there is an order prohibiting your ex and his ex from communicating . Make sure all attorneys in the cases know about the two ex spouses collaborating.