Skip to main content

Can I sue my ex husband for sharing information with my new husband's ex wife?

Aurora, CO |
Filed under: Family law

I suspect my ex husband is sharing information with my new husband's ex wife in order to enhance both of their cases. Can I bring a contempt motion against him?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Contempt is a sanction through which a court enforces its own orders. Bringing a contempt motion requires first an allegation that a specific order has been entered, and then that the order was violated, with a description of the circumstances. Without those initial allegations, a contempt motion is frivolous and the movant risks sanctions.

    What you have described sounds like almost predictable human behavior. Except for defining crimes, the law is not well-suited to regulating human behavior.

    Best wishes for an outcome you can accept

    This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.

  2. A party is held in contempt when they have violated an order of the court. It is doubtful there is an order prohibiting your ex and his ex from communicating . Make sure all attorneys in the cases know about the two ex spouses collaborating.

    ** LEGAL DISCLAIMER ** This response above is not legal advice and it does not establish an attorney-client relationship. When responding to questions posted on Avvo, a general purpose response based on Florida law is provided. All relevant background details or facts related to your issue / matter is not available. Therefore, I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, the review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship. For specific advice regarding your particular circumstances, you should consult and retain local counsel. Karen Munzer, PLLC,, E-Mail: , Tel: (786) 501-6655

  3. The First Amendment guarantees freedom of speach. Unless what is being shared is legally protected information, there is nothing you can do about it. If there is information in your case which is truly confidential, you will need to seek a court order to limit its disclosure. Otherwise, people are free to talk to each other.

    You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or Stephen Harkess is an attorney licensed in the state and federal courts of Colorado. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Stephen Harkess or Harkess & Salter LLC and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics