Can i sue my employer in new jersey?

Asked over 2 years ago - Pennsauken, NJ

I was in the company car in philadelphia and got rear ended while i was stop at a red light. Because of injuries i can no longer work severe back, neck and leg problems. The driver of the other car was on drugs or intoxicated the police said and took him away. His insurance only pays out a maximum of 100,000,00 which is low considering my injuries. Can i go and sue my employer because it happened on work hours?

1. Steven A Schwartz

Pro

5

Answered . Worker's compensation would pay for medical bills and missed wages if you were hurt while in the course of your employment. As a result, one typically cannot "sue" his employer. The $100,000 from the other vehicle may be the only place to go for pain and suffering. However, you may want to look at the coverages for the vehicle you were in or other personal vehicles you may own for additional coverage. This coverage is called underinsurance.

Steven A. Schwartz
    Attorney/Partner

JOEL H. SCHWARTZ, P.C.
    One Washington Mall, 16th floor
    Boston, MA 02108
    (617) 742-1170
    (800) 660-2270
    (617) 250-2072 fax
    sas@joelhschwartz.com
    www.joelhschwartz.com

2. Benjamin G Kelsen

3

Answered . you may be eligible for coverage on the underinsured motorist statute as well as various other policies. Please call me at 201-370-6351 to discuss further.

3. Robert Anthony Burke

3

Answered . Workers' compensation is one way to go. You may need to prove that you were working at the time. If you were in the company car and were not on the clock, it may be more difficult.

The comments by other counsel as to underinsured motor vehicle coverage are correct. ou chould consuld a lawyer on this one, though.

4. Dave Bahr

2

Answered . I agree with my colleague that workers compensation is intended to provide coverage for work-related injuries. You should consult an attorney to get specific advice.