Can I sue my employer for physical damages due to an injury I sustained on the job? I injured my knee and had surgery.

Asked over 1 year ago - Yonkers, NY

A couple of months after the surgery, I rushed back to work (after some rehabilitation) due to mounting bill. I regretted that decision because I'm still experiencing nagging pain and discomfort to my knee. Do I have a case?

1. Gerald David Grunsfeld

11

Answered . You cannot sue your employer because under NY law, an employee who is injured on the job, may not file a lawsuit against their employer but must instead make a claim against the employer's Worker's Compensation insurer. I would recommend that you consult with a good personal injury attorney who will be able to advise you further.

2. Carol Lynn Schlitt

Pro

8

Best Answer

Answered . I am sorry to hear about your injury and hope you can make a full recovery.
    Your question identifies you as coming from Yonkers, New York. NY Workers’ Compensation law limits the ability to seek additional damages from an employer. In short, if you are hurt on the job, you collect Workers’ Compensation benefits, but you generally cannot sue your employer for compensation for your injuries.

There are important exceptions to the restriction on suing for additional compensation. You may be entitled to additional compensation if you fit any of the following categories:
    • You are a uniformed employee or teacher in New York City or other municipality who is exempt from Workers’ Compensation by contract.
    • Your injury occurs while working on a ladder, a scaffold or at any elevation.
    • Your injury results from an object falling on you from a ladder, scaffold or construction site.
    • Your injury occurs due to a defective product.
    • Your injury occurs due to the negligence of someone or some entity other than your employer. This category would include injuries resulting from a motor vehicle accident with a driver not employed by your employer or an injury resulting from the negligence of a property owner when you are working off-site.
    • Your injury occurred due to gross negligence of your employer or fellow employee.

I should caution you that the gross negligence exception is very difficult to prove.

Make sure that you file for and receive your full Workers’ Comp benefits that include coverage for medical expenses, lost wages and related expenses. If in doubt, you should contact an attorney experienced with Workers’ Compensation issues.

I hope this information helps.

3. Craig A. Post

10

Answered . As indicated by my colleagues, you should contact a personal injury attorney to determine if you have a possible third party claim available to you in addition to a worker's compensation claim. The general rule in NY is that you cannot sue your employer for on the job injuries except in very limited circumstances. You may be able to bring a lawsuit however if someone other than your employer was responsible for the accident even if it occurred while working.

4. James Joseph Cupero

Pro

10

Answered . You cannot sue your employer directly in NYS. Workers Compensation is your sole remedy. You should however speak with a personal injury lawyer concerning the details of your accident to determine if a third party other than your employer may have been negligent thereby causing your injuries. You should also hire a lawyer who specializes in workers comp to help you through that process.

5. Michael C. Wild

9

Answered . Speak with a personal injury attorney regarding your potential worker's compensation case.

This communication is intended only to provide general information. No attorney-client relationship is created.
  6. Yefim Rubinov

8

Answered . You cant sue your employer because your only recourse against your employer is only workers compensation. How did you injure your knee?

7. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Pro

8

Answered . It really depends on how the injury occurred. You certainly have a worker's compensation claim against your employer, but a personal injury action is unlikely. You may have a personal injury action against third parties, but you haven't provided enough information. Please see my disclaimer.

8. Michael J Palumbo

Pro

8

Answered . You need a worker's compensation lawyer.

9. Michael Wayne Goldstein

7

Answered . How did the accident that caused your injury occur?
    Was the accident caused by the negligence of someone or some company other than your employer?

10. Timothy Leo Bowden

8

Answered . probably not. but you need to contact a local attorney who handles workers comp to advise you. contact an attorney who contributes to Avvo

11. Jeffrey Jose Estrella

6

Answered . Generally you can't sue if there is worker's comp unless injury exceeded scope of coverage or you were injured by a machine or something at work manufactured by third party and injury was a result of a defect.

Hire a lawyer to protect your legal rights. Good Luck!

THE ESTRELLA LAW FIRM, P.C.
    “LEGAL REPRESENTATION AND CONSULTING SERVICES THAT GO THE EXTRA MILE”

Jeffrey J. Estrella, Esq.
    Licensed Attorney and Counsellor At Law/Abogado y Licensiado
    Licensed in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut
    The Estrella Law Firm, P.C.
    75-20 Astoria Boulevard, Suite 170
    Inside The Bulova Corporate Center
    Jackson Heights, NY 11370
    T. (347) 628-2391
    F. (718) 672-4728
    E. Estrella.Jeffrey@gmail.com
    www.EstrellaLawyer.com

Pro

7

Answered . Remedy is workers comp. Retain a workers comp lawyer to assist you with this claim.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  13. Jonathan D'Agostino

Pro

3

Answered . Generally, if you are injured while in the course of your employment, you are precluded from asserting a claim of negligence against your employer or fellow employees. There are certain exceptions that exist that an experienced accident or worker's comp attorney can explain.