Can I sue my employer for not paying me for training

Washington, DC |

I started this job thinking I was going to get paid for trainin cause no one told me I wasn't 2 weeks later and 90 hours later they said they don't pay for train I was shocked cause I really don't think I would of wasted my time then the first day i start he said the schedule might change for Sunday but he let me no if it does or doesn't but im still on for 7 to 3 4 hours into that day he told me to call him he said he switched my schedule and i asked what about the 4 hours i already did do i get paid for that he said no so I just quit considerin my other friend was going to get me a job in the union paid trainin

1. An appropriate question for Labor Day... but the question is not exactly clear.

In a nutshell, if the training is to benefit your career and your general skill set, then you may not be entitled to wages. If the primary purpose of the training is to benefit the employer (or potential employer), then they owe you at least the minimum wage.

Hope this helps.

Howard B. Hoffman
    (301) 251-3752