Can i sue my employer for not giving me my job back after i return from maternity leave?

Asked over 2 years ago - Fresno, CA

i left for maternity leave on 03/13/2012 i was to return back to work 6/01/2012 due to a c-section. i notified him on 3 seperate occasions that i would be able to return back to work on 6/01/2012. the first time i notified him was through a doctors note i gave him, the 2nd time was in person and then the third time i left him a note reminding him once more that i would be able to work that following week. so the following saturday i called to see what days i was going to work and the manager said that he didnt put ne on the schedule to work, so she then called him and asked him if he had forgotten that i can go back to work and he said no, that thier wasnt any room for me anymore. so he just fired me.

1. James Yunhao Wu

Pro

1

1

Answered . Generally, employees returning from pregnancy leave are entitled to return to their same job. There are a few exceptions - for example, if the position was elimited by a reduction in force or another legitimate business reason that had nothing to do with the employee taking leave. Even if the employer says your old job is not available, your employer should bring you back in a comparable position (same type of duties, wages, etc.), again unless the employer demonstrates that there is no comparable position available.

You should consult with an employment attorney.

2. Christopher Robert Leclerc

Answered . You should consult with an attorney to discuss your rights and remedies.

In California, most pregnant employees can take up to 16 weeks of pregnancy disability leave from their employers for medical issues related to pregnancy and child birth. Additionally, some employees can take an additional 12 weeks of family and medical leave to bond with their new baby (based on the size of the employer and the employee's length of service and hours worked).

It sounds like you only took the former, pregnancy disability leave. It is unlawful to terminate an employee for taking pregnancy disability leave. It is also unlawful to fail to reinstate an employee at the conclusion of the leave in most instances.

3. Benjamin Davidson

Pro

Answered . Your employer may have violated California's Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA) and/or the California Family Rights Act (CFRA), among other things. These statutes prohibit most employers with 15 or more employees from "refus[ing] to allow a female employee disabled
    by pregnancy, childbirth, or a related medical condition to take a leave for a reasonable period of time not to exceed four months and thereafter return to work" (Gov't Code 12945). Also, discrimination against someone based on pregnancy or childbirth is considered gender discrimination.

You would want to contact an attorney and/or file a claim with your local office of the Department of Fair Employment and Housing (http://www.dfeh.ca.gov/Contact_Locations.htm).

Best of luck to you.