Can i sue my employer for defamation of character and wrongful termination?

i was working for 14 years at the same company, my employer while on vacation/family illness, when i return to work , i was given a meeting where she states that some of the papers I fill out for parents were tampered, now these were forms i submitted in July and in September she telling me they were fake, not real., now i was not given the opportunity to see what happen and find out how it happen, this excuse was used to be suspended for a week. Than through the mail I received a certify mail stating that "after our meeting i have made more investigations and have found more irregularities, for that reason your employment is terminated. now the don't know what were those irregularities it is not said in the letter. after that meeting, she made a staff meeting and told everyone I suspended

Elizabeth, NJ -

Attorney Answers (1)

Golnar Sargeant

Golnar Sargeant

Litigation Lawyer - Irvine, CA

Truth is a defense to Defamation. So you have no cause of action for defamation for anything that your former boss stated that is true. Furthermore, Defamation requires dissemination to someone other than you. Telling everyone you were suspended is not defamation, because it is true--you were suspended. As to the reasons, which you claim were false, you have no proof she said any of this stuff to anyone other than you, or even what she said exactly. Also, you should know that opinions are protected by the first amendment. For it to be defamation, it has to be a false statement of fact (not opinion) which damages your reputation--and even then, you have to prove that you suffered monetary damages as a result of the damage to your reputation by this person's defamation.

As to your wrongful termination claim, you should consult with a local plaintiff employment lawyer. Many give free consultations (check beforehand) so you would have nothing to lose for an assessment of your case.

We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I have made do not constitute... more

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.