Skip to main content

Can I sue my employer for breach of contract

Brooklyn, NY |

My contract states that I would be paid a certain salary, I received my first check for two full weeks of work and after I calculated taxes and all it comes out to be $4000 less than what my contract states. Should I take legal action or try to talk it out with my employer?

Attorney Answers 3


Speak with an employment lawyer and bring along the contract to review before suing or discussing with the employer. Yiu want to be sure that your interpretation is correct.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

Mark as helpful


Exactly, I agree with my colleague. Try to talk to out with your employer and/or human resources first. Bring your employment contract with you. If that doesn't resolve the discrepancy, bring your contract and any additional paperwork to a contract attorney for review. Best of luck.

My direct line: 646-606-6002. If this answer is helpful and/or the best answer, then please indicate it as so. Thank you. This answer is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should not take action based upon this information without consulting legal counsel. This answer is not intended to create, and does not create, an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Talk it out with your employer. The courts are an option of last resort.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics