Can I sue my employer for an unsafe work enviornment?

Jacksonville, FL |

My husband and myself work as houseparents for men with developmental disabilities. One of the men who lives in the home has extreme explosive episodes. He threatens to kill staff and will physically attack. We are not a behavioral home. This man's support coordinator has recommended him to be placed in an intensive behavioral home. Here is where the problem lies. This gentleman's father is the ceo of our agency. He refuses to remove his son from this home. These assaults on staff have gone on for years. When we accepted this position, we were not told anything about this individuals explosive episodes. We are working in an unsafe enviornment, and fear for everyone's safety each day.

1. There is no such claim as fear for safety. If you have a hostile work environment you can make that claim and if your employer is subject to the statutes restricting such, they would have to respond. It likely would impair your relationship with your employer. You likely wont have a job there for long. If you are injured due to an episode, then you have a worker's compensation claim assuming there are 4 or more employees. You get paid for medical expenses and lost wages if supported by an authorized doctor. Seek legal advice with the specifics of your claims.

The answers given are limited to the facts as given and presumed by the answer itself. Without seeing actual written documentation or having a conference to more fully explore the issues, this short answer has only limited application. Make sure to seek legal counsel and provide all documentation to get assistance in making informed legal choices. Bstein@dcfsz.com, 305 377 1505