Skip to main content

Can I sue my employer for a workplace accident?

Saint Louis, MO |

I work in a warehouse and had a slip and fall injury while working. I have worked at this company for over 7 months now and puddles of water are a common (at least 2 to 3 days a week) sight. I am not sure if the water is from overhead pipes or the roof.

The owner of the company has been aware of this problem as long as I have worked there and possibly longer. At least 3 employees have brought this to the owners attention as well in this time period but the problem still has not been fixed. The owners only action has been to place blue tape on the floor where puddles are known to form. There was no blue tape where my accident took place. I believe that the owner not taken appropriate or timely action to fix this hazard is the main cause of my accident.

My questions are: should I or could

I sue my employer for this accident and what are my chances of winning?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Workers Compensation


John K Lassen

John K Lassen


extremely helpful website car accident lawyer philadelphia . . car accident attorney Philadelphia


I'm unaware of the laws in Missouri. In California, Workers' Compensation is the exclusive remedy for pursuing a claim against your employer, with a few exceptions. One exception is if your employer did not maintain work comp insurance at the time of your injury, then you as the injured worker can sue him in Civil Court, as well as pursue a claim before the Workers' Compensation Appeals Board.

From the facts present, it appears that your employer's prior repeated notice of the leaks coupled with his failure to properly have the harmful condition removed, might in fact subject him to serious and willful misconduct.

Your best bet is to review your case with a reputable Workers' Compensation lawyer.

Please be advised that the advice provided does not create any attorney/client relationship; that due to the various state laws that the information provided is a general overview of work comp law, which might not be applicable to you, based upon the laws of your state. We will not file anything on your behalf nor protect any statute of limitations which might arise and recommend that you IMMEDIATELY consult legal counsel for advice.


You have a workers compensation claim. In most cases, workers compensation claims are driven not by liability, which is not usually an issue, but by the injuries and the extent of the employee's disability. My office handles workers compensation claims in Massachusetts and New Hampshire. And, although the basic theory is the same, workers compensation laws vary by state. Therefore, if you are in fact serious about your case, please retain a workers compensation attorney in your jurisdiction ASAP.

Injuries at work are handled primarily under workers compensation, where benefits are generally categorized as total disability or partial disability, and at times employees are eligible for lump sum settlement. Massachusetts and New Hampshire have fairly typical workers compensation statutes, but the differences illustrate that each state has its own procedural matrix and requirements for proper documentation. This is why anyone injured at work must have a workers compensation attorney to assist.


If you are injured your only recourse may be by filing a workers compensation claim. There might be an additional claim to be made depending on the facts of your case, but as a general rule the only recourse against the employer will be a workers compensation claim.

This response is intended to be a general statement of law that should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer