Can I sue my employer after I was wrongfully terminated? I was a whistle blower. They invaded my privacy and my rights.

Asked over 1 year ago - New London, CT

During an investigation that was going on at my job, I was encouraged by a past employee to be a "whistle blower". I spoke to someone leading the investigation (in private) and they listened to everything I said and thoroughly investigated my complaints. There were several employees preforming illegal actions and they were terminated. I confided in another employee, who was currently acting CEO of the company and he assured me that I was trustworthy and did the right thing. A few months later, after receiving a very foul evaluation from my new supervisor, I was put on "paid leave", due to a journal someone "discovered" in my office. I was then fired 4 days later, without being able to defend myself. The journal was in my personal bag and someone went into my stuff and took it.

1. Alan James Brinkmeier

1

Answered . Consult with an employment attorney

2. Temple Deanna Trueblood

Answered . An attorney would need more information to determine if you have a valid claim or not--(1) what type of illegal activity did you report? (2) what was in the journal that they claimed was the basis for your termination?

There are federal whistle blower laws that protect employees who provide information of illegal activities which result in fraud upon the U.S. government. Most states have similar laws. And there are several federal laws which prohibit retaliation for opposing various acts of unlawful discrimination. You may fall under one of these safe harbors but would need to provide more information to an employment lawyer for a solid answer.

3. Christine L. Marinello

Answered . Employment-related cases are very complex and fact-dependent. As others suggested, you should contact an attorney with experience with employment matters in your area. Most such attorneys will offer a free consultation, either over the phone, or in-person.