Can I sue my employees for trying to take over my business and changing the name?

Asked over 2 years ago - Binghamton, NY

I have owned a tattoo shop for 10 years, and recently decided to travel. I told my employees that if they wanted the shop for themselves than they would have to pay me for it. While on the road i discovered that they had changed the name, and everything else in it, and have not payed me anything for it. I told them that if they didn't pay me for the shop itself then they still need to be paying me for the business they are getting while I am gone, and I have yet to receive anything.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Michael David Siegel


    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . This is clearly not right. You have a claim. However, to get the business back you need a Supreme Court suit with an Order to Show Cause. Will take thousands of dollars in legal fees. There is no other way to proceed.

  2. Bryant Keith Martin

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . Yes, you can sue to recover damages, although you may not be able to recover the business as that might require a mandatory injunction. You need to consult a business litigator who can advise you on the relief available to you, possibly a negative injunction prohibiting them from entering the premises and providing services to your customers. Gather together all the docs showing your ownership of the biz and stating what you told the employees. Then show them to the attorney.

    DISCLAIMER—This answer is for informational purposes only under the AVVO system, its terms and conditions. It is... more

Related Topics

Business litigation and breach of contract

A breach of contract means breaking a binding legal document by failing to satisfy the terms of the contract without a lawful reason.


Business law covers topics such as business structures, common documents, business taxes and finances, insurance, real estate, and government regulations.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,293 answers this week

3,336 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,293 answers this week

3,336 attorneys answering