Can I sue my employeer for leaking FMLA and Health infomtation to other employees in the plant that do not have a need to know?

Ortonville, MN |

I entered my workplace unnotticed and overheard my direct supervisor disclosing my return to work status and illness to the other employees in the lunch room. One of the other employees noticed I was there and told my supervisor. He Looked around the corner and saw me entering the locker room to change, the room went silent once he saw me. I was so upset about this that I took a personal/sick day.

1. It was inappropriate for your supervisor to disclose your medical/health information to your co-workers. I don't recommend filing a law suit as your first step. I'd recommend talking to your HR Director of VP of HR about the situation. If they do not take it seriously, you may want to talk with an employment law attorney about what your options might be.

All information provided is believed to be accurate. However, it should not be considered legal advice. Using the Avvo website does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and Mary Joki Ebb, Esq. If you are interested in such a relationship, please call or email my office.

2. How this should be handled is very fact specific based on what exactly was disclosed. From what you posted it could be that you were returning to work after a bad bout of the common flu, or after suffering Pneumocystis pneumonia (PCP), which is common among AIDS patients. Both are wrong, and it is understandable that you were and are upset. I suggest you speak with an attorney about the exact nature of what happened.

I appreciate your endorsements! If you "agree," or found this response "helpful," please mark it as so. The Law Offices of Sara M. G. Rojas offers free consultations by phone or in person. To schedule one today call 612-206-3722 or email me at srojas@rojaslegal.com. Disclaimer: Nothing in this response constitutes legal advice or creates an attorney-client relationship. You should always consult with a local attorney regarding your specific legal circumstances. Answers posted on Avvo are intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation about your specific legal issues, with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. You should not rely solely upon this website, or other resources which may be linked to an answer in addressing your legal issues. Questions and answers, or other postings to the Avvo site, are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo Terms of Use are set forth at http://www.avvo.com/support/terms . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of Minnesota and the U.S. District of Minnesota. Any general information I provide about non-Minnesota laws should be verified with an attorney licensed to practice in your state.

3. More facts are needed. Consult with a lawyer. Disclosing your personal medical information was wrong.

The materials appearing on this website are provided for informational use only, and are in no way intended to constitute legal advice or the opinions of this attorney or affiliated law firm. Links that may appear on this site are intended solely for your convenience in identifying and accessing other sources of information.