Can I sue my doctor is the prescription cream / lotion burned and left me with a scar for life and it's been 5 hrs

Asked over 1 year ago - Memphis, TN

And I am suffering from emotional distress ever since I have seen over 3 dermatologist over the years to try reverse the damage but was told that it is permanent do I have a case.

Additional information

Sorry I meant it's been 5 years

Attorney answers (7)

  1. 7

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . In Tennessee, medical malpractice claims must generally be filed within one year. There are some exceptions to this rule.

    Attorney Lewis represents clients nationally and is licensed in Florida, Illinois, Kentucky, Ohio, Pennsylvania... more
  2. 6

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Tennessee has very strict statutes of limitation periods gor medical malpractice actions. You need to speak with an attorney as soon as possible.

  3. 5

    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You should consult with a personal injury attorney in Tennessee immediately. Most initial consultations are free. If you can prove the burn was caused by the cream/lotion and that you could not have done anything (like leave it on too long) that would have caused the burn, and you have not missed the statute of limitations in Tennessee, you may have an action for disfigurement/emotional distress against the manufacturer.

    Merry Fountain is licensed to practice law in Indiana. She can be contacted at 1-888-242-HURT. This is not legal... more
  4. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Past SOL

  5. Answered . No, you have missed the one year statute of limitations.

    Of course, there are exceptions but generally it seems as though you would not fit into an exception. Consult a lawyer.

    If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO... more
  6. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Whats been 5 hours?

  7. Answered . I have filed several cases in Shelby County, and I believe it is a 1 year statute. You may want to speak to someone local to see what exceptions may apply. More than likely, you are too late.

Related Topics

Pain and suffering for personal injury

Pain and suffering refers to physical and mental trauma caused by an injury, and is often a significant component of non-economic damages.

Emotional distress caused by personal injury

Emotional distress refers to the negative mental effects an injury has, including fear, loss of sleep, depression, and other effects.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

35,447 answers this week

3,799 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

35,447 answers this week

3,799 attorneys answering