Skip to main content

Can I sue my doctor for prescribing me steroids for my skin cream?

Newark, NJ |

When I was 16 I had a small rash on my shoulder, close to where my stretch marks were. I took immediate actions and went to my primary doctor who prescribed me a lotion to apply daily and come back after a while. I used the cream but it only lowered the redness and stopped the burning/itching. After the lotion was done she would prescribe me more but the worst part is that the rash KEPT GROWING! It came to the point that the rash spread to my stretchmarks. I switched doctors and I later went to a skin specialist and I got the rash done with. But now I have a huge scar on my shoulder and I am so embarrassed! I am dying of embarrassment and I want to get money to get the huge stretchmark fixed!

I also found out the lotion had Steroids through the reasoning of my dermatologist. I am 18 now and the only reason i didn't do anything before was because I was a minor and my mother isn't well educated so she wouldn't know. But now we both do.

Attorney Answers 3


Possibly. You have limited time. Consult a malpractice attorney in your area asap.

I am not familiar with the circumstances underlying this particular incident. Please be advised that the foregoing is not legal advice and in no way constitutes the formation of an attorney-client relationship. Do not take action based on the above. Do consult with an attorney in your area as soon as possible. If you are in New York State contact me directly at (607) 936-8057.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


You can certainly have a local Newark lawyer investigate

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


act promptly to consult with a medical malpractice attorney. You ony have 2 years after you turn 18 (the age of majority) to file a suit, or you lose your right to do so. Only another doctor can say if there was malpractice, and a good medical malpractice attoreny will gather your records and consult with an appropriate expert to determine whether you can prosecute a case against the doctor. Good luck!

Every situation is different, and good legal advice cannot be given based on a short question without an exploration of all the facts that may bear on your situation. This is not legal advice and no attorney-client relationship has been established.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics