Can I sue my daughter for slander if she claims to be an abortion survivor, but isn't?

Mantachie, MS |

My daughter has been on Dr. Gina's Radio program and on various websites claiming to be an abortion survivor. But I never had an abortion. I have been humiliated and her children hate me and it is all a lie. I have asked her to tell the truth but she refuses. I think she has told the lie so long that she believes it. I do not want to hurt her. All I want is for her to retract the lies she has told. My family knows the truth and stand behind me but it still hurts. I am a Christian and have always been pro-life. But if she keeps telling these lies about me, is a law suit an option?

If what she is stating is not true and you have suffered damages, then you are within your right to sue. for damages and possibily an injuction. However, since its family, I am not sure a suit would be the best thing for you. Good luck to you.

Although Avvo makes it clear to consumers that attorney answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship, some attorneys prefer to add their own disclaimers to answers. You can set your custom disclaimer here and it will be automatically added to your answers.

Slander is defamation by the spoken word. The "publishing" of a false statement to third party/ies, which a radio show would qualiffy, causing damage to the subject's reputation, and economic damages, is actionable. In the most technical of legal senses, abortion is legal so you are not being accused of a crime. Of course, from a religious point, it is a moral crime and may cause you a loss of reputation, etc. in your community. If you think your situatlon fits within the above parameters then consult an attorney in your area. However, to be frank, most attorneys will not want to spend time pursuing a claim, even a valid one, as a matter of "principal". And defamation cases are very expensive to prosecute. So reflect hard on this matter - as you say, your family and most likely friends know the truth. As an aside, with the rarest of circumstances, and unless your daughter was born with physical defects, it is almost an oxymoron to say that "I am a survivor of abortion". Most intelligent people will likely give your daughter's claims the short consideration it deserves. Good luck.

David B Pittman

David B Pittman

Great abswer

Hire a lawyer to send her a cease and desist letter.

A cease and desist letter from a local attorney may put a stop to it as well.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com