Can I sue My current employer (Wal-Mart) for unfit working environment and physical illness/ injury?

Asked about 1 year ago - 11429

I am an Overnight Loss Prevention Agent for a Wal-Mart store in N.Y. I have been suffering from shortness of breath and excessive coughing. I have called out the past three days and need advice. The store i work at is currently going through major renovations to make it a Super Center. The Office I is in the middle of the construction zone. During the last three months all walls from Offices, Staff Lounge and Back Warehouse have been demolished. I can no longer work in such an unfit environment. All other offices such as managers offices, Personnel, Employee Lounge and Warehouse operations have been moved. I have not filed an incident report nor an LOA yet for fear of a whistle blowing backlash.

1. Vincent Peter White

4

Answered . If you were exposed to asbestos, see an attorney.

Bring with you any evidence you can that demonstrates the insulation in your building was old enough to contain asbestos. Otherwise the attorney may feel it was unlikely that you were exposed to asbestos as most Walmart locations were built after asbestos was no longer used in building.

Pro

5

Answered . Get checked out by a doctor

3. Jonathan David Marx

4

Answered . Duplicate post, see the other for my answer. http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/can-i-sue-wal...

4. Marco Caviglia

2

Answered . You have recourse to OSHA and Workmans' Compensation.

5. Michael R Varble, Esq.

Pro

1

Answered . File a workers compensation claim and get medical treatment right away.

6. Mitchell Jan Birzon

Pro

Answered . 1.File a report with Wal Mart human resources being as detailed as possible; 2.Get examined by a pulmonlogist by referral from your primary care physician; 3. Meet with a worker's compensation attorney;4. Try to find out if any other people have experienced symptoms similar to yours; and 5. Consult an attorney who specializes in hazardous condition workplace cases.