Can I sue my company or a person in my company for slanders statements?

Bowie, MD |

A part time management person in my company made slanders statements by telling people that I was fired when fact I resigned.

find a local defamation attorney on avvo.

I am not admitted in MD (only in CA), so I can only provide a sort of general response. In general, all defamation actions (slander is a type of defamation) require these elements :
(1) a false and defamatory statement concerning another;
(2) publication of the statement, without privilege, to a third party;
(3) fault on the part of the publisher, amounting at least to negligence, in ascertaining whether the statement is true or false; and
(4) special damages.
[Restatement 2d, Torts § 558]

Typically speaking, actual falsity and knowledge of the falsity of the statement are hard to prove, if there is any aspect that is true. Also, statements made that are merely "opinions" are protected. (For example, there's a difference between saying "I think that guy is a crook" and saying "that guy is a felon." In the first instance you may be stating an opinion, where the 2nd example, if false, could be defamatory.)

The 3rd issue to address is damages: it's often hard to show actual damages resulting from the publication. In your case, you'd have to show what damages you suffered as a result of the statements.

That said, if the statements made about you are false, you may have a civil case against the person making them, but you'd have to assess what monetary losses you suffered to determine if the case was worth pursuing. I'd suggest discussing this with local counsel.

Disclaimer- The information you obtain at our web-site or through postings on such sites as this is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for specific advice regarding your individual situation. Any response given here is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.