Skip to main content

Can I sue my college for Negligence?

Statesboro, GA |

I applied for my Student Loans in late October of this year (2013). The deadline to have my information in was November 7, 2013. All of my information was complete and submitted to Financial Aid on October 29, 2013. I kept checking my account thinking that I had to wait 30 days since I was a first time borrower. It continued on that the last day on disbursement was December 5, 2013. I went to Financial Aid to check out why I hadn't received my money and it was December 10, 2013. Financial Aid tells me that the lady responsible for putting my information into the system was negligent in doing so, so she did it for me on the spot. I haven't received any kind of email or notification as to when I will get my money and Spring semester start back in January. What can I do? I need my money bad.

Attorney Answers 1


Why would you want to sue? A lawsuit can take years to conclude; costs a lot of money to bring and maintain; and is highly uncertain in the outcome under most circumstances. Why is that what you want to do? How will that help your situation?

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

Mark as helpful

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics