Can I sue my college for emotional distress if their administrative negligence led to my not being able to graduate?

Asked over 1 year ago - Atlanta, GA

I have been cleared to graduate since october of 2012. All of a sudden by chance, I discover that the school had not submitted my graduation application, nor had they accepted a large portion of the credits i needed (a full semester's worth) that should have been filed in 2012. To which I have proof. Now I have not been able to order my diploma, my cap and gown, or my graduation tickets and I have job offers that I will not be able to take if the school does not graduate me. I am under an extreme amount of stress. Can I sue my school for this?

Also I would like to make a point that if I had not stumbled across this information I would have never known.

1. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

9

Answered . You've posted this on multiple internet sites and the answer won't change with each posting. As you read previously, Georgia doesn't permit suits for stress (with no physical injury).

To quote an answer you already received elsewhere:

"You can sue for anything. However, if your suit says what you said in your post, expect that your case would be dismissed, and that you would likely be ordered to pay court costs and the school's legal fees for something that frivolous."

2. Scott Benjamin Riddle

Pro

8

1

Answered . For administrative mistakes, no. You would basically have to show they somehow intentionally targeted you. Then you would have to prove damages, such as medical expenses for significant physical problems associated with the "distress," and so on. Suffice it to say that you would have a really hard time meeting the burdens because a college screwed up your file. Rarely will stress from that give rise to an emotional distress claim and big check. A school is highly unlikely to write a "nuisance" check. That is not saying there are not lawyers out there who would offer to pursue it, and whether you want to start your working career pursuing a claim like that is another issue.

3. Sam Louis Levine

6

Answered . That's a good question. The answer is maybe. I would need to know more & am happy to speak with you. The other attorney's on this forum are rock stars, so either way, you should speak to someone & congrats on your educational accomplishments!

Sam Levine, Esq.
    (404) 303-8875

4. Jesse Cole Kent

Pro

5

Answered . Yes, possibly. Intentional or Negligent Infliction of Emotional Distress are tricky legal avenues to travel. You'd want to get that case to a jury and let them make the decision. It's also possible that the college may entertain a settlement offer at some point. In order to bolster the case, though, you'll need very very good proof - both proof of your damages (ie: how you were harmed) and of their negligence.

5. David Thomas Dorer

5

Answered . No. You cannot sue your school for emotional distress.

Georgia follows the impact rule for negligent infliction of emotional distress. That means that you can only sue for mental distress damages if your mental distress flows from an actual physical injury or impact.

Sorry about your situation. Best of luck.

6. David J. McCormick

5

Answered . Sorry to hear about your situation. Saying you are under stress and actually being diagnosed and treated are two entirely different things. If you are not treating with a mental health professional you will never be able to make any claim for damages.

That said, right now no one knows if you will graduate, if you lose you r job offers, etc… so it is too early to tell if you have any claims. Also, depending on whether your college is a state college or a private one will further affect your ability to seek a recovery.

You need to talk this over with a local attorney ASAP and try to get things straightened out.

Pro

5

Answered . Duplicate post. Call one of the lawyers above in your state to discuss in full.

8. Robert G. Rothstein

4

Answered . See the previous atty.'s answers regarding the viability of such a suit. It is not viable, however, you might contact college accreditation
    agencies for advice.