Skip to main content

Can I sue my college?

Ronan, MT |
Filed under: Education law

I will be graduating with a BS degree from my educational institution in a rural area. Anyways I just now found out that this entire time that I have been attending this school for a degree in Information Technology, none of the instructors have a degree in IT or computer science, or even have certifications such as Cisco Certified Network Associate, A+, Microsoft certs, Java, etc. Half the time the instructors don't know what they are talking about. What the institution has done is hired their own college graduates only with BS degrees from there. None of the graduates have been able to successfully get jobs besides teaching there, and none have been able to pass certi

None of the graduates have been able to successfully get jobs besides teaching there, and none have been able to pass certification exams. When I brought this up to a department head, I was scolded and told that this college gears its students towards learning on their own! WTF?! I guess I should have gone to the nearest book store and bought a $70.00 book on networking, instead of spending $20,000.00 dollars on an institution that guarantees you that trained professionals will instruct you so that you will graduate with the skills necessary to get a job in IT, except there are no trained and no certified professionals at this institution, just their college graduates teaching with only degrees in BS. I don't know what to do, because I did not get the education I paid for. I want students to realize this place is a joke and I want my money back. Any advice, or legal advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Attorney Answers 1


I would argue that misrepresentations were made to you if you were lead to believe that experience professionals were to be the instructors. I suggest you speak to a local attorney without ties to the school and inform him of your situation. I believe you may have a claim, but it would require a review of the school's promotional materials. I would collect the current materials as well as any previously published materials.

Disclaimer: I am not offering legal advice, assume I do not know the law in your state and that I am just making suggestions for starting points for when you do speak with an attorney. Do NOT rely on anything I write and contact a lawyer in your area immediately after reading my posting.

Mark as helpful

2 found this helpful

1 comment



This question is in reply to the comment made by Attorney Weilbacher. You suggested that the individual speak to a local attorney without ties to the school. Does this apply in every situation? My daughter currently has a suit filed against a university and her lawyer graduated from that university. Thank you.

Education law topics

Recommended articles about Education law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics