Can I sue my child's doctor for this error? The doctors office overdosed my toddler with vaccines.

Asked 12 months ago - Chicago, IL

In a nutshell my child (18 months) was accidently given an extra vaccine shot. At his 15 month check up, I was told he would not recieve any vaccine s at the 18 month check up because he was caught up on all his vaccines. When I get to the appointment I'm told he is to receive two shots. I insist he was caught up and I was told so by the doctor. Said doctor said no he needed to get x shot which I knew he'd never had so I did not question x shot but y shot I KNEW he was finished with that series. The medical assitant and doctor assured me I must have misheard them and that he needed y shot and that they had gone over his records and verified this. Well they gave the shot I came home an and reviewed some records I had theml fill out for other purposes and bam! It was there I was right.

1. Judy A. Goldstein

11

Answered . Did your child experience any side effects from receiving an extra shot? What would be the basis for your lawsuit?

2. Stephen Laurence Hoffman

Pro

10

Answered . If there is no injury or damage, there is no viable case.

Assuming your child is fine, there seems nothing to be done.

If uncertain, get your child checked out, get the medical records, and contact a lawyer.

Stephen L. Hoffman
    Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
    Chicago, IL
    773-944-9737
    Email: stephen@hofflawyer.com
    Website: www.hofflawyer.com
    Blog: www.hofflawyer.com/blog/

3. Mark Dean

Pro

9

Answered . It sounds like your child is ok, which is good. You might want to verify that the multiple vaccinations are not a problem. If not, there are no damages--an essential element to a malpractice case.

4. Christopher John Gansen

Pro

8

Answered . If the child is OK, what exactly are you looking for?

5. Philip Anthony Fabiano

7

Answered . Any claim must have two elements, 1. some carelessness/negligence and 2. injury/damage. The law attempts to compensate damage. Fortunately it appears your child suffered no injury. No injury equalls no damages.

6. Joseph Andrew Brabender IV

Pro

5

Answered . If your child is okay, you lack damages, which is a required element of a lawsuit.

Pro

6

Answered . I'm glad that your child is OK, so you would have a lawsuit.

8. Josh P Tolin

4

Answered . It seems like this was an error which fortunately resulted in no damage to your child. Without an injury , there is no suit. Good news for you and your child!